• 250 cigarettes
• 250 grams of cigars and other tobacco based products.
• 2.25 litres of alcohol - All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in this category, regardless of where or how it was purchased.
• General Goods- If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring up to A$900 worth of general goods onto Christmas Island. If you are under 18 years of age there is an A$450 limit. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment.
• Travellers exceeding Australia's duty-free concession limits will be charged duty and tax on all items of that type (general goods, alcohol or tobacco).
• Illegal drugs
• Counterfeit goods
• Weapons and ammunition – require permission and a permit
• Food, plants and biological goods – needs to be declared
• Cats and dogs are prohibited from entering the island.
• No imformation available
Prohibited and restricted
• Weapons and Ammunition – must be declared
• More than A$10,000 in cash - must be declared
• Medicines – must be declared at customs
• Protected wildlife- Australia's strict laws control the import and export of protected wildlife and all associated products.
• Heritage listed goods – a permit is required if importing or exporting works of art, stamps, coins, archaeological objects, minerals and specimens.
• Pornographic material
Basic health information for travelers to Christmas Island
• A yellow fever certificate of vaccination is required for all travellers who within the past 6 days have travelled or passed through an endemic area.
• Hepatitis B and HIV/AIDS are a danger on this island and travellers are advised to take necessary precautions when either engaging in sexual activities or dealing with needles.
• Additional vaccinations against Typhoid and Influenza should be obtained prior to arriving on the island.
• Dengue fever has been reported on the island and visitors should take precautions to avoid getting infected. Useful countermeasures include buying insect repellent and wearing clothing that exposes little skin.
• A hot and humid environment, plenty of water and sunscreen for protection are advised.
Basic security information for travelers to Christmas Island
• Although relatively minor, theft of personal belongings is always a risk and travellers should keep their personal belongings in a safe and secure location and avoid any obvious displays of wealth which could potentially attract attention.
• Visitors should exercise caution when travelling by the coastal regions of the island. The sea cliffs can be very dangerous and travellers should avoid getting to close to the edges in case of accident.
• Travellers swimming on the beach should be careful of large waves that can cause great harm if encountered unexpectedly.
• Some roads on the island can become slippery and treacherous. Any travellers using a car to navigate the island should take care and drive slowly to avoid accidents.
• Dress is generally relaxed on the island with the exception of the Muslim Kampong region. If visiting this region, women should dress modestly and all shoes should be removed prior to entering a mosque or temple.
For further assistance please contact the Christmas Islander Customs authorities directly. They will provide the latest information about customs regulations and export-import procedures.
Christmas Islander Customs contact information
C/O Christmas Island Police Station
Indian Ocean WA 6798
For additional information about travel restrictions, security warnings, political updates, and basic travel guidelines, please contact the nearest Christmas Islander Embassy.
List of Christmas Islander Embassies all over the world: http://christmas-island.visahq.co.uk/embassy/United-Kingdom/
If you have any information about the custom requirements of Christmas Island that could be helpful to others, please use this form to post your comments. Any details related to the customs procedures, regulations, or any other specifics about the customs requirements of Christmas Island that will help other people will be greatly appreciated.